Monday, May 21, 2007

How Blogging Improved My Life

After all the writing about vacation last week, I was inspired to check up on my paid time off days accrued. At my company, you can roll over vacation days from year to year, but you have a maximum that you can have 'in the bank' at any given time. The maximum increases the longer you have been with the company. Right now, my max is at 23 days. I checked, and was surprised to see that I was at 21.75. Yikes!

So, it's a road trip! I am thinking Yellowstone and Grand Tetons in June sometime. I went two years ago with the family, which was fun, but inherently quite restrictive, because The Official Bro-in-Law and the Middle Sister are the only other serious hikers in the family, and since we only had one car for the whole gang, there was no chance for an overnight camping trip or anything of the sort.

This time, I am going to be backwoods enough to be threatened by some bears if it (they) kills me!

On a related note, I was looking at my bank account last week and thinking 'boy, where did all this money come from? I need to get rid of some of that.' To that end, I bought myself a brand spanking new digital camera, a Canon Rebel XTi. It consists of the vast majority of the remainder of my insurance settlement from the break-in. It is approximately 1.73 bazillion times nicer then what I would usually buy for myself, but with my Summer Of Travel beginning (big plans this summer for Yellowstone/Tetons, motorcycling around CO with The Official Dad, and The Big Island in Hawaii in September for the 30th bday), I feel like having a good camera would be a Very Nice Thing. Now I just have to see if I remember how to take pictures after it gets here...

3 comments:

Shane said...

Well, if you're ever in a "I need to get rid of money" mood again, I will gladly accept donations. :)

Donations to me are not tax deductible, but they will certainly help relieve pressure on the virtual pursestrings of your bank account.

:)

Drew said...

That's a worthy purchase. I didn't know you were into photography. I myself just bought a new Canon camera (not as nice as your DSLR, but very functional) with aims of learning more about imagemaking techniques. I don't know if you've seen that around my place. We'll have to arrange a photography outing sometime soon. Can we expect to see your work on your Flickr site soon?

LJ said...

Staben also just acquired a Rebel XTi. From the person who's owned a D60, a 10D, and a 20D -- this one is far and away the most perfect packaging of what the vast majority of people need, while leaving out what they don't.