Monday, May 21, 2007

Alternative Sports News

Today, in the women's professional...

*yawn* what? Oh, sorry.

Haha, just kidding. In other non-real sport news (defined loosely as 'things I would actually look in the paper or on the net to see when they are on TV), Roger Federer ended Rafael Nadal's mindblowing 81-match clay winning streak by beating him in the finals of a French warmup tournament.

I think this is great. I am not a huge tennis fan, but do enjoy watching occasionally, and I have to admit that Federer is amazing. I enjoy watching him much more than I enjoyed watching Sampras in his dominant days; to me, he is a pleasant mix of Sampras' cool consistency and Agassi's emotional court catharsis. And we all should appreciate greatness and beauty for those short, fleeting existences they tend to have on this planet. Also, the end of Nadal's clay invincibility makes for a good leadup to the French, the only major Federer hasn't won in his ridiculous 4-year run of dominance.

Incidentally, if you've never seen a Youtube slow-mo high-def video of Federer hitting the ball, like this one, it's worth a look-see. As a former frisbee player, I recognize the perfection in the way he generates motion in his hips and chest, and uses his arm and wrist to efficiently transmit that torque onto the poor ball. As my man John Keats said, 'a thing of beauty is a joy forever.'

No comments: