Thursday, June 14, 2007

What I'm Watching

Scrubs, Season 5 on DVD.

Damn, that show took a serious turn to the better last year (the season that just ended was Season 6.) Much like M.A.S.H., which started out as a pure laugher show, and later developed into an award-winning drama, while keeping some of the elements of the humor but adding a serious amount of darkness and depth, it appears that in Season 5 Scrubs is trying to pull off the same jujitsu.

I always enjoyed the early seasons, but they were kind of light and fluffy. Occasionally, the show inspired to Make You Think, but it was always in the ABC Afterschool Special kind of way. Just on the first disc of Season 5, we have an entire show inspired by The Wizard of Oz, two episodes showing Cox trying to break free of the shackles placed on him by his horrible family history (money line: "when my dad wanted to show affection, he would just purposely miss when he threw the bottles at my head.") and several other serious looks at the inspiration behind some of the characters' actions.

Sadly, I think I am going to have to go out and buy Season 5 (these are the first ones I've ever felt the desire to really re-watch) and hurry up and watch Season 6 on NBC.com before the episodes disappear from their 'watch for free' viewer.

2 comments:

LJ said...

The ending of season 5 was the only sitcom on TV in the last 20 years about that I've actually been somewhat emotionally involved in. The "What the FUCK just happened here" factor is fantastic.

Michelle said...

What will I do when Scrubs eventually (as all good things) comes to an end?