Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Tragedy Of The Modern Cubicle-Monkey

News came down yesterday that I am being temporarily, massively, retasked at my job. Most of you know that we had a big demonstration last week for our customer. On the basis of that demo, they will be deciding whether or not to continue funding this project for another year. Company X's Board of Directors meeting will be occurring in a couple of weeks, and it could take up to a month or more after that for the final details of the next stage of the project to be finalized and the money to start flowing again, assuming they agree to re-up the funding.

So, in the meantime, most of the Optical Engineers on my project are being 'lent' out to the archive drive project, which is the chief project of InPhase since its inception. For comparison, ROM Stage 1 employed about 12 people, vs. about 105 for archive. I am one of those being lent (or 'whored', if you prefer) until the end of July or so.

On the up side, the project sounds interesting and challenging. The archive drive is moving into production phase. They have broken the process down into 12 stations. Each station will be manned by a single engineer, whose job is to understand the process, build several (8-15) versions, iron out the wrinkles, then write sufficiently detailed instructions that it can be handed off to a non-engineer for assembly-line production. Several people hunted me down today to stress both the difficulty and the importance of my stage, which is implementation and alignment of the final stage of the laser.

On the down side, I am naturally a lazy walrus of a human being. It has served me well and gotten me this far in life, and I don't see any particular reason to change. The idea of being tasked with something which is both difficult and important is, well, not the kind of thing lazy walruses take on by choice. But, nobody asked me my blubbery opinion.

No comments: