Sunday, March 23, 2008

Seasonal Thoughts

I'd like to wish a Happy Easter to all those out there who celebrate such things. Personally, of course, I am mostly excited about the prospect of half-priced Peeps starting tomorrow. I have a funny relationship with Easter candy. I don't like the chocolate bunnies, if only because a) they tend to be hollow, hence a big disappointment on a chocolate-per-inch basis and b) they are made from grade triple-Z chocolate, the kind of stuff that aspires to generic chocolate chip status. It used to be the case that every year, Easterish time would roll around, and I would say 'oh yeah, a Cadbury Egg! I haven't had one of those in a year!' So I would buy a 4-pack, bite into the first one, and then say 'oh yeah, this is why I don't like them at all! They're disgusting!'

Fortunately, I seem to have grown past that point, so I don't try them anymore.

But Peeps? I mean, come on - how can you not love sugar-coated marshmallows (in other words, sugar-coated sugar), pressed into whimsical animal shapes, and dyed some unnatural color that, in the wild, would indicate 'WARNING! This animal is made almost entirely of poison! Do not eat!' That's gold, Jerry!

Also, I do apologize for the total lack of posts since Monday. Firstly, after that marathon post that night, I was pretty well spent of things to say. More important, I found out on Tuesday that I am being promoted. My lead's job is being split about 2/3-1/3, and I got the 1/3 put under my belt. So I am now the lead for the build line of the laser.

It's a classic InPhase promotion, in that I get more responsibility and more work, but no more money. But still, it is exciting to have some faith shown in my basic ability, and also a good thing that more focus is being put on improving the quality and reliability of the build line.

I'm sure that I'll get better at it, but for the first week at least, managing is really hard! Trying to keep track of not just what I ought to be doing, but also what 6 other people ought to be doing, and what they are doing, and whether what I think they ought to be doing is actually right? That's a lot of mental balls to keep juggling.

Additionally, this week is a Hunter Education course, in case I can find the time next fall to get out and try and plug me a winter's worth of dinners.

So, I just don't know how much posting I'll be able to do in the short term, while I get put in place some systems to help keep track of all of those things. I hope I will be able to get some brief stuff online, but I can pretty much guarantee no Big Thought postings, at least not during the week...

1 comment:

bjkeefe said...

Peeps are good, but Cadbury Mini-Eggs rule.

I'm totally with you regarding another aspect of Easter: the most important part is the day-after candy sales.