Saturday, March 8, 2008

Musical Stuff

So far, so good in the recovery process. At the moment, there's no pain, although I am keeping up with the pain pills and the icing, just in case. Also, I appear to have stopped oozing blood, which is, needless to say, a Good Thing. The stitches on one tooth are hanging loose, which is irritating, but there's not much for it but to wait a few days for them to dissolve.

I don't think I mentioned having gone to see Stomp Thursday night before the surgery. It's playing at the Denver Center. For those who don't know, it's a quite rousing percussive performance, done by people making various noises using all sorts of objects which are not actually musical instruments. Rubber pipes, plastic carboys, trash cans and trash can lids, brooms, sand-covered floors. Almost anything except for proper instruments.

Here's an example I found online from one of their cable specials, featuring basketballs in section 1, and kitchen implements in section 2:



Pretty amazing stuff; and the show does not disappoint. We had seats in the very back row of the auditorium, but it was still a completely wonderful night. They mike up the stage so that even the quietest noises are well amplified. If any Coloradan Faithful Readers don't have plans this Sunday, you could do a lot worse than checking out one of the shows.

Also, the section with basketballs (they have one of those in the show in Denver also) reminded me of this, one of my favorite commercials of all time:



All told, I think I prefer the quality of the Stomp piece. But, nonetheless, it's impressive how musical a piece the Nike commercial can make from nothing more than bouncing basketballs and squeaking sneakers, no?

No comments: