Sunday, March 23, 2008

Basketball Thoughts

This post is probably two weeks too late, but early March is traditionally when I really start paying attention to basketball. A few weeks' decompression from the end of football season, and it's time for some roundball.

But, with being busy and all, I really haven't had time to become as aware as I usually manage. Throw in the fact that I don't have cable, and I really am pretty solidly not knowing what's going on. A fact which is well-reflected by the way my NCAA bracket completely self-destructed in the first 4 days of the tournament.

A few random thoughts from the first 3 days of NCAA play:
  • It may be the fact that my TV is aging a bit, or the fact that my eyes are aging a bit, but it seems like the text that CBS is putting up is nearly impossible to read on my screen. In particular, the scores of the other games going on are so small, they're almost impossible to read. I'm guessing that this is an outcropping from the prevalence of high-res HDTV's these days. On those screens, I'm sure the smaller text is quite readable, and leaves more room on the screen for the game being shown. But it's irritating for those of us who think there are better things to spend money on than expensive toys...
  • So, wait. You're telling me that Duke is a slow, unathletic team which is overly-reliant on distance shots, who is highly ranked based mostly on owning the best home-court advantage in the game? And they flame out early in the tournament, losing to some unheralded lower seed? Man, that is some seriously new story. I never saw that coming.
  • Every year, I run the bracket at work. I put in some extra brackets for reference. This year I only put in two - one where the higher RPI team wins the game, and one where the higher-seeded team wins every game, called 'Old White Men's Committee'. As of this writing, OWMC is tied for second, and also tied for second for most possible points remaining. I think the point is not that there were almost no upsets, but instead that the upsets were difficult-to-call ones, like Siena, that very few people got right. That's what I think. But, then again, I am tied for 17th, so my thoughts ain't worth much.
  • Kansas has definitely looked the best through two rounds. But it's still Kansas, and I have faith that they will find a way to blow it before all is said and done.

No comments: