Sunday, March 23, 2008

My Favorite Least Favorite Coach

Sorry for the overload on b-ball coverage, but I'm in that kind of mood right now.

I know that I'm contractually obligated to hate Roy Williams, the head basketball coach at the University of North Carolina. For one thing, he's the former long-time coach at Kansas, who was the best team in the Big 12 back when I was a regular attendee of University of Colorado basketball games (there's no real defense for this, except that sometimes it was fun to be one of 300 fans in the arena for early-season games.) Anyhow, he was always so snide and snotty and easy to hate, and the one magical year that CU went undefeated at home in conference, including wins over #13 Oklahoma State, #6ish Texas, and #2-ranked Kansas, he nearly threw an apoplectic fit at the end of the CU-KU game, insisting that star player Kirk 'Frodo' Heinrich had been fouled on their last possession, I thought he was going to have an aneurism.

Very immature.

Anyhow, now he is the coach of UNC, and since Michelle and LJ, official BFFs of The Consistent Fool, are NC State alums, I am still contractually obligated to dislike him.

But, despite myself, I find him occasionally quite charming. The #1 example of this was back when he left Kansas, and told Bonnie Bernstein, standing outside the locker room moments after his team narrowly lost to Carmelo Anthony's Syracuse team, that he didn't "...give a shit about Carolina right now."

And just today, in a post-game interview after his team absolutely dismantled Arkansas, he told the interviewers, regarding star player Ty Lawson playing at full capacity; "when he plays like that, I'm a much better coach."

It doesn't quite count as humility, but it's still pretty funny and fairly charming stuff.

No comments: