Thursday, March 13, 2008

And That Is Why

Usually, I read Bill Simmons for some light entertainment. He was recently called something like the 'king of the bar argument', which is about right.

But, the fact is, he's not just a funny guy with similar cultural markers as me. He's also a pretty decent writer. Occasionally given over to some slightly over-the-top sentimentalization, but he's no Mitch Albom or anything. When he tries to write serious, he actually does a pretty good job, which is one reason I keep coming back to him.

Today's column, about the tragic death of an L.A. high school star athlete, is along those lines. It's not a light, easy read, but it is one of those things that leaves you (well, at least me) remembering how good, generally, my life is, and how appreciative I ought to be of that fact. I can't say I recommend it, exactly, but it's something I still feel I ought to point out.

No comments: