Thursday, October 25, 2007

What's Good For The Goose Is Good For The Pander

The more I learn in this year's Presidentials, the more I am definitely onboard with the 'Rudy Giuliani as President terrifies me' school of thought. Here's Rudy's answer to the question of whether or not the oft-discussed technique of waterboarding is torture:
It depends on how it’s done. It depends on the circumstances. It depends on who does it. I think the way it’s been defined in the media, it shouldn’t be done. The way in which they have described it, particularly in the liberal media.
I've included the second half of the quote so I can't be accused of taking him out of context.

So, at the most generous interpretation, Giuliani appears to think that waterboarding probably isn't torture, because the detiails of the procedure have been wildly exaggerated by the liberal media.

Alternatively, it appears very possible that he believes that, so long as it is good guys who are doing it, then it can't possibly be torture. Because...I don't really quite know. Maybe because we're American, and we're good. So, by definition, whatever we do is okay.

Sometimes, I really wish I didn't think so much and so deeply about these sorts of things. It would be really nice to be able to believe these sorts of things. It would make questions about issues like torture so much easier to answer.

No comments: