Friday, October 12, 2007

One Last Thought For The Weekend

Happy Friday, y'all, and I wish everyone a great weekend.

Before I take off, one last post about an interesting article I found recently, arguing the logic of fare-free public transit.

I'm sure everyone will be shocked, shocked! by this, but this liberal likes the idea. It's patently ridiculous that people are all too happy to pay for roads, bridges, etc. through their taxes, but insist that any public transit system be able to pay for itself. Look, we make all sorts of decisions in the financial code that subsidize some people at the expense of others. Through tax deductions, we subsidize homeowners at the expense of renters, although in that marvelously regressive way where people who make more money get bigger deductions. Super! Through tax credits, we really subsidize people with kids at the expense of those who choose not to subject the world to the fruit of their loins.

Look, I am pro-car. Cars are great. They give us access to the wider world, give us freedom and helped build the whole concept of a middle class. Plus, I love my car. But I also realize that I drive too much, and I should ride my bike/take the bus more often. If the bus were free, I would definitely take it more; especially if I knew I was already paying for it with taxes!

Anyhow, sometime over the weekend, read the article. What do you think?

No comments: