Tuesday, October 30, 2007

For Love Of Trash TV

Reihan Salam uses his love of Jericho to launch onto a paean on the virtues of second-rate television. He compares it to "the new sci-fi classics like Babylon 5 and Stargate: SG-1", which I have to argue with a bit, if only because I think B-5 very nearly qualified as quality television. And, while I never actually watched an episode of Jericho, I certainly never got that sense.

I don't really have a lot of commentary about Reihan's article, except to say that I adore his unabashed love for all manner of things. I don't tend to agree with him about much (except, of course, Lost), but I still have to admire anyone who can be so openly in love with, well, whatever happens to be striking his fancy at that moment, be it some indie band, a trashy TV show, or a highfalutin new electronic device.

However, his unabashed praise led me to read one of my favorite articles of the last year, this doozy by Ariel Levy, who is now one of my favorite writers.

No comments: