Tuesday, October 30, 2007

As If I Needed A Reason

Also in Slate today, an article expounding on the minor environmental virtues of driving a stick shift. I do have to admit, this was one of the factors in my buying a stick when I got my Protege. It wasn't easy, either - it was surprising how difficult it was to find a stick car. Given that Mazda's tagline is 'Zoom-Zoom', you would think they would always have at least one stick on the lot.

And it is true - you can definitely get improved mileage from a stick car. My EPA estimates were, I believe, 26/29. And now, after more than 7 years, I'm still averaging around 31 mpg in a tank, ranging from about 28 to 34.

Plus, stick's give you more control over the driving experience - if I want to shift early for mileage, I can. If I really need to go, I know the car will respond. Plus, chicks dig a guy who knows his way around a clutch, or so I keep telling myself.

Although, I am traumatized by the fact that this is probably the last stick car I will ever own. After my last few car experiences, I am definitely in the 'buy new, drive until the engine falls out' camp of car owners. And since I expect the Protege to get easily 150K miles, by the time I get a new car I suspect most cars will be some form of hybrid. At the moment, I believe all the hybrids have Continuously Variable Transmissions, so I expect my next car to have that as well.

So, I had better enjoy it while it lasts!

2 comments:

LT said...

Actually in some of the latest releases of cars the automatic has the same or better mileage than the manual because the shift programming has gotten more mature and more representative of manual shifting. The Audi A3 and Subaru Legacy Wagon are two that are the same. I want to say I saw one that actually had the automatic as being a couple mpg more efficient, but I can't remember... Now those are EPA estimates, what that amounts to in real driving always varies by the style of the driver.

Shane said...

I'm probably as die-hard a stick-driver there is... but, its true the CVT cars get better mileage.

And, here's the truly frustrating part, for those who find a certain amount of joy in driving a stick:

CVTs are downright fun to drive... smooth acceleration curve (no gaps for shifts), power whenever needed...

So, while there's a part of me that knows i'll miss driving a stick, and wonders what i'll do with my left foot, there's also a part of me that will probably enjoy driving a new age "slushbox".