Saturday, August 25, 2007

Oh Cursed Sleep, Harbringer Of Doom

I have absolutely nothing interesting to say right now, but I feel like I should point out that I think the single biggest challenge facing humanity and holding us back from our rightful place among the stars, much more than global warming or intercultural conflict, is the human need for sleep.

I got just about 8 hours last night, and damn I feel good. This pisses me off, goddammit. We can put a man on the moon, we have probed to the earliest hours of the universe and to the sub-sub-atomic level. But I still need to spend 1/3 of my life lying in a dark room, drooling into a soft object made of memory foam, in order to feel perfect? Ridiculous.

Slate did a human guinea pig column a few years ago about somebody taking a new experimental drug for ADD. Turns out that this drug, much more than Ritalin, is capable of not just moving somebody who lacks the ability to focus naturally into the normal range, it's also capable of taking someone who lacks any particular psychological problems and increasing their ability to focus far beyond the norm.

The column was quite striking - the guy (I believe it was a guy) started writing more, in less time. Sleeping less, to the tune of 3ish hours less a night than he previously needed. He was able to sit at the computer and block out the universe; he felt like a superwriter, although I think he said that his writing lacked a certain flair and personality and was slightly more robotic-feeling.

All I can say is, in the immortal words of John Kerry: Bring. It. On. I hope they start lacing the water supply with this stuff.

No comments: