Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Monday, Bloody Monday

It's been a pretty exciting couple of days around the office, as we had our first set of layoffs in my time at InPhase yesterday. It appears that we have made the executive decision that the ROM project is definitely not being renewed, and so several people who were hired specifically for that project were let go. 3 engineers, gone. 2 chemists, gone. The manager, gone, sort of - he has a month to find a new job.

As an aside, it seems completely ridiculous that the 5 people who are less employable are told to get out that day, while the guy who was probably paid more and certainly has more bankable skills is given a month to cushion the fall. It's hardly a golden parachute, but still.

Anyhow, since the 3 engineers who were let go were pretty much in my position, engineers from ROM who were lent to the archive project temporarily, it's been a somewhat nervous day or so. It appears that I have survived Bloody Monday, which is a Good Thing. I think.

It's irritating that, instead of hiring more people to do the build, we are indeed firing them, apparently under the philosophy that the rest of us can just work 60 hours a week (apparently this was an actual suggestion made by the CEO at a meeting this morning). I'm engaging in some hyperbole when I say this, but it's almost enough to make me miss grad school. Almost.

No comments: