Monday, February 11, 2008

That Is The Sound Of...Inevitability

I know that the act of doing your taxes is supposed to be this harrumphing affair, full of stress and strain and leaving me incredibly pissed off at how big a chunk of my income the government is confiscating (which must have been the 'Word of the Day' in the Karl Rove's Power Vocabulary Calendar recently, from what I can see in the Republican campaign.)

But, really, after doing mine on Saturday, I just don't see what's so difficult.

Yes, I'm sure if I was a day trader and have 300 stock transactions to track, I'd find keeping count of all the capital gains and losses to be a hassle. Likewise, if I was personally incorporated or self-employed, it would be a more difficult process.

But, for me, it's pretty simple. And any hour-and-a-half long process which ends up with me getting a check for well north of $3000 is time I consider well-spent.

Now, of course, it is the case that I am giving the federal government an interest-free loan of that money all year. But, you know what? That's okay. I really do get stuff for that money - nice roads, all those beautiful national parks I got to enjoy this year, the convenience of not being able to take a bottle of Coke through the x-ray machine at the airport. For what I pay for these issues, I have no complaints.

Hooray, Government!

1 comment:

LT said...

technically, that $3000 (assuming it is your refund) doesn't pay for the roads, parks, etc. maybe some interest off of it does, but it's just money that you lost the potential interest/investment income on. I don't think the government having some extra money from you for a time really gives them anything. But I must admit that how the government's fiscal actions are not logical, so my logic could be soundly defeated...