Friday, February 1, 2008

Rethinkeration

Okay, lots of commentators wrote this week about how absolutely god-awful Kathleen Sebelius' response to the State of the Union Address was (including, of course, Shane's requisite personal call-out of my diminished mental capacities, supposedly due to Obamania, but actually due to excessive consumption of alcohol.)

So, I went and watched it again. And, yeah, you're all right. It kind of sucks. Vague on policy, soft on politics, and choosing inexplicably to completely avoid the most obvious opportunities to hit the Bush administration on, for instance, their veto of the sCHIP renewal bill.

The best defenses I have for my previous statements are that 1) after watching a completely chickenass, lame, State of the Union address, almost anything would seem inspirational by comparison and 2) I'm an idiot.

If you're hard-up for some good content, Obama, unsurprisingly, does a much better Obama impersonation than Sebelius did. He recorded his own excellent response to the State of the Union Address.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I suspect you were also otherwise influenced by a GILF.

Also, I was disappointed with Obama's response. I felt it was very generic and it was a lot of repackaged material from previous speeches, like the "woman who hasn't been able to breathe since her son left for Iraq."

JMHO.