Monday, February 18, 2008

I Wish I Could Quit You

I find myself at a bit of a crossroads today, pondering one of the great existential questions of our time:

Is it possible to have a simultaneous man-crush on two completely different bloggers?

My feelings for Ezra Klein are well-known and, I believe, quite understandable. He has much the same politics as I, cares deeply about the issue of public health, which is something I am also quite interested in, and he's so damn cute! Plus, he's a Good Jewish Boy, which would make those Faithful Readers who happen to be my mother happy.

Also, apropos of very little, I tried his most recent kung pao tofu recipe with Faithful Reader Daisy Saturday night, and holy crap! it is good. You should try it. It would work fine with chicken, for the soy-phobic amongst you. I made the following substitutions, due to the fact that I live in white trash-ville, and Safeway was the most diverse place I could shop for ingredients: plain black peppercorns instead of Sichuan, dry red cooking wine instead of rice wine, a 50/50 mix of balsamic and white vinegar instead of Chinese black vinegar, and small dried new mexico chiles for Chinese peppers. But still, it is fantastic.

Anyhow, the point is, I am also starting to get that little murmur of my heart beating extra fast in my chest these days when I read Reihan Salam as well. It's a bit less expected, though, I must admit. We have somewhat different politics, and I really don't know what mom would say if I brought a shaved-head Bangladeshi neoconservative to dinner.

But still, I dare you to read musings like this, posted while he is guest-blogging at Andrew Sullivan's house, and declare him not to be a national treasure:
And what will follow Generation Z, you ask? I see two distinct possibilities: (a) all of our celebrities will be digital composites, Max Headroom-style or (b) we are headed straight for something like the Biblical apocalypse. Which is why I'm investing in gold doubloons. (See Chapter 5 of Captain Jack's Guide to Management.)
You see? Precious!

Also, he is in fine form carrying Kerry Howley through this entire diavlog over at BH.tv. I don't know why some people are so impressed that Reihan stood through the entire conversation - I'm pretty sure I can stand for an hour without too much trouble - but regardless of that, it's a great performance by Reihan and you should check it out.

No comments: