Tuesday, February 5, 2008

A-Caucusin' We Will Go...

Entertaining night.

Entertaining last few days, really.

On Sunday, before the Super Bowl, I spent a couple hours knocking on doors in my neighborhood for Obama. It was mostly an entertaining experience. About 1/3 of the people either weren't home, or the person I was looking for (I was working from a list of registered Dems in my precinct) didn't live there any longer. Of the remainder, about 1/3 were rude or just not interested, plus one very entertaining incredibly hostile guy ("I don't want his literature. I don't want any of their literature. You, them, everything, the whole system is completely fucked up!")

But the rest were somewhere between neutral to excited to talk about the caucus, and Obama. It was fun. The last person I spoke to all day was a fence-sitter, but after speaking for about 5 minutes, she decided that she was going to caucus for Obama. That gave me a good warm feeling.

Although, the fact that she didn't actually show up to the caucus tonight took a little bit of the shine off.

But, all that said, my precinct broke 22-7 for Obama, which meant a delegate count of 4-1 in Obama's favor.

It was my first time being involved in a caucus in which anything at all mattered - 4 years ago it was John Kerry or Uncommitted, which is an official choice in Colorado. I voted Uncommitted, because 'John Kerry is a total douchebag' was not an option on the ballot. But Uncommitted didn't pass the 15% threshold, so my vote was for naught.

Anyhow, my first real caucus experience was kinda fun! Lots of good discussion, a chance to really meet my neighbors (my precinct is basically the eastern half of my neighborhood.) I volunteered to help out the Boulder County Dems when the race has settled its way out, whoever ends up being the nominee.

Right now, I'm just sitting and watching the results poor in. Decent night for Obama, but not fantastic. Obviously, my post-Iowa prediction of 'Obama Inevitable' was sorely, sorely mistaken. For the Repubs, looks like it'll be McCain, amazingly enough. The concept of a McCain/Huckabee administration kinda worries me - there's a whole assload of ignorance on that ticket. A guy who doesn't know or care about the economy, combined with a guy who makes up his policies and he goes along on any issue where the Bible doesn't tell him what to think? At least their ignorances are fairly complementary, but still...

1 comment:

Deep said...

11-7 Big O in Precinct 5 in Broomfield. There was a traffic light malfunction on the way, which delayed the arrival of scads of Dems at the SINGLE caucus site for the entire city/county of Broomfield by about an hour. Damn you, Romney operatives! Despite all the talk about shutting the doors at 7, they kept them open til 8, and we got our caucus on. I got to meet my until now undiscovered cool neighbors for the first time, and I noticed that most of them were articulate and good-looking. No big surprise. Good times. Obama 08.