Sunday, July 29, 2007

A Gmail Says What?

I, like oh so many other wannabe-cool kids on my block, use Gmail to get my e-mails. I love it; the Java-based interface reduces wait times, the 'conversation/tab' style of sorting and organizing messages is perfect for me, and I much prefer the label format to the folders that usual e-mails have.

One of Gmail's funnier aspects is that, since it is run by Google, it puts little ads on the side and top of your screen, just like after you do a Google search. I'm told that these ads are put in by a computer program which scans my e-mails and analyzes things I might be interested in seeing. Cool.

Oftentimes, these ads actually are relevant to things that I am writing about and thinking about, although I have never actually bought anything from one of them. But I am really curious what the hell I wrote about that led Google to think that this is something I would be interested in...

No comments: