Sunday, December 9, 2007

Cheering For Laundry

Seinfeld did a routine, back on his show, about the inherent silliness of cheering for specific sports teams. As the rosters shift around, and you have 30% or 40% roster turnover from year to year, yet you keep cheering for the same team, you're really just 'cheering for laundry'.

However, for better or worse, such is the way of things. You cheer for your teams, because, well, they're your teams, and that's the way such things are done. I've spoken earlier in defense of the fair-weather fan. Since I'm a lifelong Eagles fan, I've never really jumped on the Broncos bandwagon, preferring to retain a sarcastic, postmodern distance which allows me to say, snidely, 'well, every win now just means the inevitable postseason meltdown is going to be more painful.' And, so far, I've been right every single year. This isn't a huge accomplishment, of course: 31 of 32 teams fail to win the Super Bowl every single year, and the fact is the Broncos have been a quality organization most of my time here, although never quite a Super Bowl-caliber team since Elway retired.

But this year, they've been bad. Really bad. I went to the Broncs/Chargers game and oh dear lord, they were 'who is this high school J.V. team, and what have they done with the Broncos' bad.

But they did kick the living crap out of the Chiefs today. That offense has a lot of weapons, and it looks like Cutler has a real, live arm. It'll be interesting to see if the O continues to develop. I don't think they have the defensive coaching chops to be competitive in the AFC (honestly, it seems like there's about 5 such coaches in the whole league!), but they should be fun to watch. Which is nice, since the NFL rules ensure that I'll have a Broncos game to watch every week so long as I live in the metro Denver area.

However, to show that I'm not entirely unusual, I have completely hopped on the Nuggets bandwagon. I was not a huge Sixers fan, although I have always been an NBA lover. But I've been a big Iverson fan for a long time, which made it easy to made the change from casual to hardcore Nuggets fan when they acquired him in a trade last season.

Go Powder Blues!

No comments: