Thursday, September 20, 2007

Chicka-Chicka-Bow-Wow...

Zeitlin the Younger notices the abundance of late September birthdays. As a possessor of just such a natal event, I've often noticed that it seemed that I always had more friends with birthdays in the September 15th-October 15th period than any other month. In fact, this year, Faithful Readers D.C. and J.D. and I are planning a triple-30th Megabash on Friday, while Faithful Reader Michael and I will be spending a week in Hawaii to celebrate our fatefully coordinated day of birth.

My theory has always been that, if you count backwards 9 months from late September, you get to late December. Okay, that's not really a theory, more like an observation. The theory is that, around the end of December, there are lots of celebratory events; Christmas, Hannukah, New Years', etc. Throw in the cold weather, the early sundown, and it sounds like prime baby-making season.

I do wonder if in countries where their holidays don't match up to ours (China, for instance), they have a different time of year when birthdays peak?

Also, along these lines, it amuses me that Denver is expecting 20% more births this October than in a usual October, in commemoration, as it were, of the Blizzard of 2006, when consecutive major storms on December 22nd and 29th basically shut down the town for 2 1/2 weeks. Good stuff.

No comments: