Monday, September 24, 2007

Aloha II

And here's the second:

Now I'm in Kona. Can I just say I hate jet lag? I'm too tired to do anything, but somehow I can't get to sleep, either, even though my internal clock thinks it's 11:30 PM and I've slept about 4 hours in the last 24.

Landing in Kona is pretty frickin' cool, I must say. You come in over the ocean, and because you're coming in from the cloudy side of the island, you're above a pretty solid cloud cover. Looking out the right side of the plane, where I was sitting, and all of a sudden: holy shit, there's a mountain poking out through the clouds!

Then you're through the clouds and over the open blue ocean, and like Red says at the end of The Shawshank Redemption, it is every bit as blue as it is in your dreams.. As you get near the land, you can see coral formations in the shallower water. The only downside of the landing is that the first land you pass over is a mudflat, not a pure sandy beach. But still, you are going parallel to the shoreline as you land, and the ocean is maybe 300 feet away. Hard to beat.

As for the island itself...well, I can definitely see why they felt that this was an appropriate place to tape Lost. It's pretty, um, amazing. Gorgeous. Beautiful. I went snorkeling at a beach which is about a mile from the timeshare condo, and it is completely ridiculous. 10 feet from shore, and there's 5, 6, 8 inch fish swimming around you. 100 feet from shore, and it's like you've dropped into the saltwater tank at the Baltimore Aquarium (or Shedd, or Ocean Adventure, or what have you.)

The unfortunate thing is that Mikey's flight was delayed, so they are landing sometime after midnight local time. Which is something like 4 AM by my internal body clock, but fortunately my internal clock is so damned confused that it might not mean much of anything at that point. I'm hoping I can sleep a little bit before then, at least.

Maybe that should be Hawaii's new motto: “All the jet lag of international travel, only you don't have to change currencies!”

No comments: