Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gone But Not Forgotten

With AJ Feeley leading the Eagles to a rousing 3-point loss to the Patriots on Sunday night (preventing the cover by a cool 20 points), I don't really understand why there's a quarterback controversy in Philly anymore.

I love Donovan McNabb. I have for years. I've always felt that he was among the top 5 quarterbacks in the league, although his history of injury has really hurt the team the last few seasons. But, for better or worse, he has worn out his time in Philly. He was never perfectly suited to the offense that Andy Reid tried to shoehorn him into, but he usually found a way to make it work, however ugly it was. And, often, it sure was ugly.

But, for whatever reason, his stuff just isn't working anymore. Other than the 50-some points they hung on Detroit in Week 3, the offense has really been unconscionably bad.

I think D-Mac has a lot of gas left in the tank, and he's probably going to go to Chicago, displace Rex, and win a Super Bowl there. But, while I think he's still got game left, it's pretty clearly in the Eagles' best interest to part ways and start looking for the Next Big Thing.

So, take a moment, and raise a pint with me to the only guy who ever managed to get Rush Limbaugh fired from anything, for which, if nothing else, Donovan deserves our eternal gratitude.

No comments: