Tuesday, September 18, 2007

The Lamentable State Of The True Sports Fan

The state of the NFL after 2 weeks:

1) The Patriots are depressingly good. I think the Chargers are going to end up being much better than they looked in New England on Sunday, but the Patsies are definitely the real deal. It seems like the only thing that might slow them down are a Brady injury, Moss going all TO-bitch-ass crazy, or it turning out that Belichick is a much bigger cheat than shown so far and getting his ass kicked out of the league.

2) Yeah, the Falcons bandwagon was apparently a gussied-up Pinto, and has already gone over the embankment and burst into flames in midair. But I just hopped over to the Jeff Garcia-driven Bucs bandwagon.

3) You have to think that the Saints are going to start scoring some points, but man oh man do they look bad right now.

4) And speaking of bad, your (well, my) 2007-08 Philadelphia Eagles! Holy crap, what a distressingly bad team. I actually didn't want us to tie the game last night, because we'd end up going to overtime, and I just couldn't stomach watching it anymore. The Birds are traditionally a slow-starting team, so I'm not panicked yet. But man oh man oh man that team looked like three-day-old ass in that game.

I have reduced expectations for Donovan, because I know it's going to be 18 months before he is back to 100%, and a QB with a bad knee is going to have his throwing motion affected. Given that McNabb's throwing has never been flawless to begin with, you have to expect he's going to have inaccurate nights like last night.

But for Pete's sake...Westbrook was averaging about 7 yards every time he touched the ball. Just give him the damn ball! I know you have to get the receivers involved, but the fact is they sucked all night. At some point, just ride Westbrook to get the win, and worry about next week next week.

I think it may have finally come time to admit that Reid may have just run his time in Philly. He did a really remarkable job keeping this team competetive for a long time, including that remarkable run of 4 straight NFC championship games. But they look bad, and boring, and frankly all us fans are exhausted of the whole 'wow, we don't have a single pro-caliber wide receiver' thing. I know Stallworth wanted to get paid in the offseason, but you know what? You were great with him. Now you traded him for Kevin Curtis, and the offense is pathetic.

Okay, I need to get out of here before I just start swearing uncontrollably. Fucking Eagles.

No comments: